Dave On Tour

Southeast Asia 2010

From Mon, 23 Aug 2010 until Thu, 16 Sep 2010

Southeast Asia

Added on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:49 GMT+8, from Singapore

Hello from Singapore to the rest of the world!

After a 6 hrs flight from Frankfurt to Dubai and a 7 hrs flight from Dubai to Singapore Changi Intl. Airport I arrived in the 5-million people metropolis Singapore.
Burkhard collected me at the MRT Station near the Terminal 2 in the airport.
The first thing I did to check-in at the Hotel for the first night. But that wasn't as easy as I expected, because I didn't know the address and my mobile had been switched off due to power loss. Nevertheless, a nice man saw me searching the streets and helped me finding my hotel by phoning a friend and asking for the address. Then he guided me to the Hotel.
After that I met Burkhard again and we went to many beautiful places in Singapore, ate something and drank a bear (for me, a traditional Singaporean one, really awesome).

In the gallery connected to this post you can will see pics from the journey as well as the places I visited today, such as the Esplanade with the Singapore Merlion, the lightshow they start in the evening and some pictures from downtown. I hope you enjoy them!

Well now, above you see what time it is here now and I'm heading to bed soon.

So, have a nice time mates!

[ view all pictures (19) ] [ read comments (2391) ]

First day in Singapore

Added on Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:08 GMT+8, from Singapore

Hey hey!

The first night in the Hotel I slept quiet okay, but actually I don't like the location of that hotel very much (if you wanna know why, just ask me). Thus, I checked out after the first night and now slept in a Hostel called "Sleepy Sam's", which is located in the Arabic quarter near the Sultan Mosque (you can see it on the pictures).

Yesterday I met up a very nice Malaysian guy, who's been living in Singapore for many year now due to Studying. He guided me around in the Arabic quarter. We saw the street market on the Arab Street, the Sultan Mosque next to my Hostel and the whole Kampong Glam area. Kampong Glam is the name of that Arabic quarter (Kampong means Village). I love this place and I'm really happy that I can live in a hostel quiet in the Middle! When you look at the pictures you will see those small houses and shops on the street, the Coconut trees on both sides and so on ... just beautiful!!

We entered the City Library and went up by lift, in order to have a great view over the city! The design of that building is quiet interesting (see the pictures).

After that we took some stations with the MRT train to the Dhoby Ghaut Station and went to the Orchard Road, which is a very long (and partly quiet expensive) shopping mile. You can compare it to the Ku'damm in Berlin, for example. We wandered through many big Shopping Centers, stood up on the OC (Orchard Central) for having another great night-view over the whole city. I love the pictures!!

A conspicuous thing about Singapore is that overall "Green" that you can see in the whole city. Nearly anywhere you look you see grass and trees (and it's funny, because it's always the same kind of trees).

My plan for this afternoon is Chinatown! Don't know yet what I'm doing in the evening. The plan for tomorrow is Sentosa Island. After that I will write here again, before I leave Singapore on Saturday.

Well, have a nice time, mates! Greetings from a very satisfied Dave!!!

[ view all pictures (30) ] [ read comments (2173) ]

Chinatown, Youth Olympics

Added on Fri, 27 Aug 2010 02:17 GMT+8, from Singapore

Hello again!

This is probably the last time I write from Singapore, at least for this months.

Well, I told you about me Malaysian friend as my personal guide in Singapore. Yesterday I slept quiet long again, because I stayed awake until 3.00 AM in the night before. At noon I contacted my friend again and we took the MRT to Chinatown. As you might realize, there are several small "villages" in Singapore, which are related to other regions or countries in the world. The day before we've had the Arabic village Kampong Glam, yesterday we had Chinatown. In this city we saw Chinese shops in typical Chinese houses, Chinese food and Chinese temples.
In the Chinese calendar every month has a certain name and is related to a certain thing. This month, August 2010, is called the "month of the hungry ghosts", which means that the doors to hell are opened, so that the hungry ghosts can come out. Anywhere around the temple there are standing small plates with any kind of meals for those ghosts.
In the temple people are praying and can light up candles for the ghosts.
We also passed a Hindu temple, which we could not enter, because it was closed at that time.

From Chinatown we left for the Singapore River, which is surrounded by many shops, clubs and bars and stuff. And in the evenings it's lit up, thus it's really bright and very colourful! We slandered around next to the river in the place called Boat Quay.

In the same evening, the Youth Olympic Games, which took place in Singapore in 2010, were being closed with another big firework near Marina Bay, which we could easily reach from our position around the Singapore River.

That was the one of the last days in Singapore....

[ view all pictures (33) ] [ read comments (37) ]

Little India, Esplanade

Added on Sat, 28 Aug 2010 01:06 GMT+8, from Singapore

Hello for the last time ...

On Friday I slept until midday again. After breakfast I wanted to book my bed for one more night in the hostel, but unfortunately they where full for the following night. That's why I packed my suitcase and went out to find another suitable hostel for the last night in Singapore. I found the footprints backpackers hostel in Little India, which was not too expensive either.

Well, in this hostel I got to know a guy from Sri Lanka, with whom I went out to see Little India. As well as in Chinatown, I loved the small shops and everything in this little Indian village. After that I wanted to guide him to the Esplanade. In the Little India MRT Station we met a girl and I wondered whether she was German. And of course, she was! She had the same plan, so she accompanied us and we had a very nice evening at the Esplanade again, watching the Merlion, having cold drinks, making photos, etc.

Unfortunately, this was my last day in Singapore (at least for this month). So, tomorrow I'm leaving to Jakarta from Changi Airport at 11:55 Singaporean Time.

I hope everything is alright with you, my friends!
Kind Regards and ... good night!

[ view all pictures (6) ] [ read comments (1268) ]

Arriving in Jakarta

Added on Sun, 29 Aug 2010 16:17 GMT+7, from Indonesia

Hey my friends!

This time I'm writing you from Jakarta (on Java Island), the Capital of Indonesia.
After arriving at the Soekarno Hatta Intl Airport in Jakarta I had a little trouble immediately. I went to the immigration officer to obtain my visa for Indonesia. But he sent me back to a small counter for buying the Visa first. So I went over there, without Cash, just a Credit Card. Of course they didn't accept any Credit-, Debit- or EC-Cards, neither there was a cash machine for taking money. So, I had to discuss with the officer, until he took my passport, sent me out of the international Globe Ground to take money at a cash machine. I went back on the Globe Ground to the counter, payed my Visa, took the receipt to the Officer and finally obtained my Visa. A really horrible trip!

However, the next thing was the trip to my CouchSurfer's house, which is quiet far away from the airport. I had to take a taxi. After finishing baggage claim, Several taxi companies offered their services. So, I took one, which looked serious. They told me a price and brought me to my CS' house.

The first crazy thing about Jakarta (or whole Indonesia) I realized while sitting in the taxi were the non-existent traffic rules. All cars and motorbikes and any other kind of vehicle seems to be the "king of the road". Neither the lines on the road, nor the signals are being noticed (why should they?!). And it's even worse, not describable!

Well, finally I arrived in my temporary home and got to know a really kind and nice family and their friends. In the same afternoon I ate some typical Indonesian food (a soup and noodles) and in a group of 4 to 8 people we walked through the big shopping malls "kelapa gading" in the north of Jakarta. After buying some necessary stuff for surviving in this city, after some beers in a cool bar and some conversations with really nice people, we got home quiet late at night.

The result: We got up late the next morning! We talked about our plans for today and the next days. My CS' (Philip) parents offered to take us around in several parts of Jakarta tonight. We accepted that. I'm very happy I got to know those nice people and am looking forward to having a nice evening / night with the whole family!

And I hope I will have something to tell you about tomorrow...

[ view all pictures (19) ] [ read comments (2939) ]

City of Jakarta

Added on Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:24 GMT+7, from Indonesia


Well, what can I say? I arrived in Vietnam just for Stopover. Tomorrow I'm gonna take the Bus to Phnom Penh, which will leave at 7:30. So, I want to get to bed early.

For the last days in Jakarta I spent a lot of time in the City of Jakarta.
As I told you before, I was about to leave to the City on last Sunday. And yeah, I was very surprised about what kind of different places Jakarta provides to the Tourists. On the one hand very old quarters, rundown houses, markets just on a carpet at a large area in front of the Pos Indonesia, and on the other hand the big Shopping Malls in a row, expensive restaurants and green parks.
Just see the pictures! I will start to upload them now and add further information about all the places and stuff later.

Anyway, have a nice afternoon and see you soon

[ view all pictures (37) ] [ read comments (3138) ]

Phnom Penh, Siem Reap

Added on Sun, 05 Sep 2010 18:12 GMT+7, from Cambodia

Hello again!

Yes, I could really manage to get up early in the morning on Friday in order to take the Bus to Siem Reap. A nice girl from the reception could book the tickets for me and just charged 198000 Dong (the currency in Vietnam), which is about 7.84 Euro.
On that way I got to know a nice guy from France in my age, who will accompany during my next few steps through Cambodia up to Bangkok.
Finally, we arrived in Phnom Penh after a 6-hours journey and it took us about 10 minutes to find an accommodation for the next night only in a near Hostel. After checking in, we walked along the river in direction to the south, until we reached the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda. They're really beautiful grounds and it's worth coming to Phnom Penh just for seeing those. A a finish of the day, we had dinner in a cute restaurant and went to our Hostel afterwards.

On the next morning, we took already the next Bus to Siem Reap. Actually, we had planned to go by boat over the river, but due to organizational problems of our booking ajency we couldn't. After another 5-hours bus-trip we arrived in Siem Reap on that rainy day. We just got drenched on the way out from the bus to the station. A Tuk Tuk driver of our Hotel collected us over there and brought us to the Hotel (New Riverside Hotel, Siem Reap) immediately. Yesterday in the evening, we just had dinner in the Hotel Restaurant and went to a Nightclub afterwards.

Although we got home very late and we were (ofcourse) very tired in the morning, we had to get up quiet early today, because our very nice Tuk Tuk driver collected us at the Hotel at about 9:00 AM and took us around to most of the temples in the North of Siem Reap (the probably best known temples we saw, were Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, which are also the biggest ones in this area.
And without a doubt I can say, these were the most impressive two places I've seen here in the Mekong-Region up till now! But, as you know, pictures tell more than words, I so suggest you to just look through my pictures, which I'm gonna upload now.
By the way, the weather was much better today. We could enjoy our time in the temples, because it was really sunny and warm (probably a little too warm)!

Tomorrow in the morning, we'll leave for Bangkok. For thaty we're gonna take the bus to Poipet (a city near the border to Thailand) and then take the train for crossing the border.
Anyway, as we're planning to go out again tonight, I'm hurrying up now. So, have a good time over there and see you soon!!

!!! EDIT:
I was just uploading the photos of Angkor Wat, when an electricity loss occurred in the whole Hotel. As all the pictures, which I copied to the computer before, are gone now an the speed of the computer is very slow, I'll take a reak for now, because we're going to the city again.
But don't worry: More pictures from all the temples will follow tomorrow, as I arrive in Bangkok.

[ view all pictures (34) ] [ read comments (1155) ]

Bangkok and Khao Yai

Added on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:26 GMT+7, from Thailand

Hey hey!

Finally, I arrived in Bangkok in the evening of 6th September and I could stay in my French friends' flat for the two nights in Bangkok.

Since we arrived very late in the evening, we didn't go out that day. But in the next morning, we got up quiet early, so we could take the Bus line 75 to the city. Arriving at the River, we split up and I took the boat to Tha Tien Station (single way pass: 30 Baht). So, I visited Wat Pho, Grand Palace and Wat Khruawan Worawihan (on the other side of the river). See the pictures!

Greetings from Pak Chong ...

[ view all pictures (22) ] [ read comments (41) ]

Jungle, Khao Yai and Bangkok again

Added on Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:21 GMT+7, from Thailand

And here's part no. 2 of Thailand...

In the morning of the 8th September, I took the minibus (45 Baht) to Ban Na, where friends collected me, because I would spend the next days with them together. At first we dropped our luggage in their house near Nakornnayok, which the built up recently. I like the location very much. It is next to a forest, owns a big ground and is surrounded by a large, beautiful garden. Later in the afternoon, we walked over several markets (e.g. in Lop Buri) and visited a temple, which could be reached by car easily. It is called "Wat Pa Sawang Bun" (see the pictures). On the second day we had a wine tasting session in the PB Winery near Muak Lek, which consisted of a tour over the wine fields and the tasting of five different sorts of wine. Additionally, this session was lit by a very nice guide, who explained any details about every wine (personal thanks to her)!
The next step a two-days jungle trip with "Bobbys Appartment and Jungle trip - Khao Yai" near Pak Chong, lit by a German man, who's been living here for many years now. So, on Thursday, a guide showed us around in a cave and we drove a place, from where we could see many bats coming out of another cave at about 5:00 PM. Every day, they fly in one big line in direction to the Khao Yai Park for having "dinner" (they eat all the insects). You can watch this for several hours every day. So, there must be millions of bats coming out. Awesome show (see the pictures).

We could sleep in bobby's apartment and got up early in the next morning again, because the day-plan was a trip through the "jungle" in the park, in order to see some exotic animal, which can't be seen in Europe, except in a zoo, such as elephants, crocodiles, monkeys, exotic birds and many more!
Another great sight were the waterfall, which is known from the movie "The Beach" with Leonardo DiCaprio.
Again: look at the pictures!

On the following day I said goodbye to my friends, because they drove to another city this morning. I took a minibus from Pak Chong to Bangkok Victory Monument today and found a cheap accommodation in Khao San Road, in order to stay some more days in the mother city of all Southeast Asian Capitals. This will probably be the last step on my Southeast Asia holiday trip this year.
I think, I will make my next post from Singapore, before I unfortunately have to leave for Germany again.

[ view all pictures (39) ] [ read comments (146) ]

Last days in Singapore, Leaving

Added on Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:17 GMT+1, from Singapore


The last post is coming a little late (and from Germany, after my first day at university), but there are some things missing to be described, which I experienced in Singapore at the end of my trip.

Well, I managed to take the plane from Bangkok to Singapore in the morning of Monday 13th September. Since I remembered my former Hostel "Sleepy Sam's" in Kampong Glam, I checked in again and luckily had nearly the whole dormitory for me alone. I went out to have lunch, after that just sat down in a bar near the river at Fullerton Bay and finally chilled out near the water in front the Esplanade.
On Tuesday, I actually wanted to visit Sentosa Island, but I slept until noon and got to know a really nice girl from Mexico in Sleepy Sam's hostel after having lunch. So, I postponed Sentosa. At that evening, we had a Karaoke Night at $10 Bar near Chinatown with the Mexican girl, her friend Vietnamese friend, Burkhard and some other friends from Singapore. On the next day (unfortunately the last full day in Asia), I finally went to Sentosa by Skytrain.
In the evening we had dinner together with a lot of friends, Jean-Paul was our guide for that evening and offered his house for playing Wii and enjoying the last hours in Singapore!

Unfortunately, I had to leave in the next morning. The plane to Dubai took off at 10:35AM from Changi Intl. Airport. At 7:40PM I arrived at Frankfurt Intl. Airport in Germany.

Back home!!
However, I'd have liked to stay in Asia (especially Singapore) some more days, weeks or even months, but ...

See you soon, mates!!!

[ view all pictures (0) ] [ read comments (262) ]

If you want to browse all trips, see my timeline.